Although I understand where you are coming from the minimising risk side, it is
also true that you end up investing a lot more in both, the software and glue
to communicate various software applications with a myriad of file formats and
what not, therefore I advocate for a hybrid approach in which;

- You define your FX and render backbone (one single application always) and
everything else feeds it.
- No plugins if possible unless you have a solid environment resolution system
in place and are willing to maintain it.
- No strategic dependencies with one manufacturer with a proven record of
discontinuing software (Apple and Autodesk are specially bad)
- And make sure you build as much as possible in open standards like Alembic,
OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, USD, VDB, etc...

With that in my head, I go and evaluate the next things to define what should
be my backbone.

> Software companies with a fair price and licensing structure have 1 point.
> Software companies that support and adopt open standards have an extra point.
> Software companies with strong R&D also have another extra point.
> Software companies that maintain their code have another extra point.
> Software companies that top support have another extra point.
> Software companies that understand what we do have another extra point.
> Software companies that keep refining their UX have another extra point.
> Software companies that keep refining their core have an extra point.
> Software companies that listen to their customers in a prompt and agile way
> have another extra point.

You make the choice of course for your particular scenarios but this is my view
of how to choose your backbone.

Hope this makes sense.

jb