Grant Ingersoll wrote:
I was wondering what people thought of the following things that have been bothering me, off and on, for a while.

1. Let's bring SolrJ into the core and have, as part of the release packaging, a target that builds a standalone SolrJ jar for distribution. Right now, we have circular dependencies between the core and SolrJ such that I think it makes it painful to startup a project in Eclipse or IntelliJ which thus makes it just that little bit more difficult for new people to understand and contribute to Solr. Besides, SolrJ is used by distributed search and is thus "core"

+1. I setup an eclipse project yesterday and it took me a while to figure out that I had to add src/java, src/webapp/src, client/java/solrj/src, lib, client/java/solrj/lib and two test folders to the build path. To make it work I also had to download and add jetty.jar and jetty-util.jar to the classpath.

2. Likewise, let's refactor the appropriate servlet dependencies such that it is in the core lib, but excluded from packaging, and then utilized/copied out to the example where needed. I think these are just the servlet apis used by the webapp part of the code.

The goal of both 1 and 2 is to have the core only depend on the lib directory for dependencies such that people need only point their IDE at the core/lib directory to get up and compiling/contributing, etc.

I also think we could stand to simplify the example directory quite a bit. Not quite sure what to do there just yet. While the original "example" is still pretty easy to use, I think it's confused by the proliferation (of which I am guilty) of other "examples" that are thrown into the directory.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Grant