On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>wrote:

> [...]
> functions, and nested queries of different syntaxes..." [key change, added
> "and nested queries"]
> >
> > Again, looks great, and these are minor comments, but thought I'd pass
> along to help crisp it up.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
> >

> > On 10/31/09 10:44 AM, "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> >
> > Putting my marketing hat on... here's a draft for a release
> > announcement on other sites like theserverside (for an audience that
> > may or may not be familiar with what Solr is).   I've tried to keep
> > the new feature list limited, while still trying to convey the scope
> > of this new release.  Thoughts?
> >
> > -Yonik
> > http://www.lucidimagination.com
> >
> > --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT
> > --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT
> >
> > Apache Solr 1.4 has been released and is now available for public
> download!
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr/
> >
> > Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search
> > platform from the Apache Lucene project.  Major features include
> > powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic
> > clustering, database integration, and rich document (Word, PDF)
> > handling.  Solr is highly scalable, providing distributed search and
> > index replication, and powers the search and navigation features of
> > many of the world's largest internet sites.
> >
> > New Solr 1.4 features include
> >  - Major performance enhancements in indexing, searching, and faceting
> >  - Revamped all-Java index replication that's simple to configure and
> > can replicate config files
> >  - Greatly improved database integration via the DataImportHandler
> >  - Rich document processing (Word, PDF, HTML) via Apache Tika
> >  - Dynamic search results clustering via Carrot2
> >  - Multi-select faceting (support for multiple items in a single
> > category to be selected)
> >  - Many powerful query enhancements, including ranges over arbitrary
> > functions, nested queries of different syntaxes
> >  - Many other plugins including Terms for auto-suggest, Statistics,
> > TermVectors, Deduplication
> >
> > --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT
> > --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT --- DRAFT
> >

> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
> > Senior Computer Scientist
> > NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
> > Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
> > Email: chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov
> > WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/<http://sunset.usc.edu/%7Emattmann/>
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
> > University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Yonik,

Your announcement looks great! However, would like to add just a little more
text to the introduction part of Solr especially for people that may have
heard about Lucene before but are hearing about Solr for the very first
time.

One of the reasons most developers are not involved with using Lucene for
creating search applications is because of the one of the following factors:

1. From my perspective, it's a bit complicated to set up and use out of the
box. It involves a fair amount of heavy lifting to make one's search
application utilize most of the features the Java version of lucene has to
offer.

2. If your are not using Java, most of the other ports of Lucene are usually
behind in terms of the features offered by the Java version of Lucene.

3. In some programming languages such as ActionScript, PHP, Objective-C no
reliable/effective lucene port is available.

Now, thanks to Solr the "language barrier" excuse is gone, especially
because of the ability to interact with the search server via HTTP and XML.

Hence, via Solr you can take advantage of virtually all the features Lucene
2.9 has to offer and even more without any headache of implementing Lucene.

The power of Web services should never be underestimated. Via, Solr
developers around the world can now deploy the amazing features offered by
Lucene 2.9 in virtually any programming language such as ActionScript,
JavaScript, C, Visual Basic, Objective-C etc.

Personally, the very first time I heard about Solr, the first impression I
got was that it is just another port of Lucene or Java library based on
Lucene and this is completely false.

So I think it would be nice if you could include the "http" feature of Solr,
so to speak, in the introduction section of your announcement just to
clarify that it is not just another Java library based on Lucene.

Again, this addition is targeted only towards individuals just hearing about
Solr for the very first time.

So I would suggest to add the following text hopefully without cluttering
the presentation:

--BEGIN--
Solr is not just another Java library based on Lucene. Nevertheless, powered
by Lucene 2.9 internally, it is a standalone enterprise search server with a
web-services-like API that allows one to index documents in XML or CSV
format over HTTP. The contents of the index then be queried via HTTP and
retrieved as an XML response, therefore making it seamlessly simplistic to
deploy the amazing features offered by the enterprise search server in
virtually any programming language such as ActionScript, JavaScript, C,
Visual Basic, Objective-C etc.
--END--

--OPTIONAL--
It's so easy even a caveman can use it!