I'm also trying to reuse the first paragraph to come up with an update
to our front page description to basically define Solr.

I'll think about how I can fit in the cross-language aspects...
Perhaps it deserves a second paragraph.

One characterization of Solr I've heard in the past is that it's just
basically a wrapper around Lucene - something I emphatically disagree
with and trying to leave behind a bit.  As Solr matures, it needs to
stand more on it's own, rather than to define itself in comparison to
Lucene or be "easier than Lucene".

-Yonik