On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the review!  I already made some additional changes (I had
> forgotten one of the suggestions by Chris eariler too).  New draft is
> at the end, I've already checked this into subversion.  It's not live
> though, so further tweaks and cleanups can still be made.
>
> On that note: I'll be traveling tomorrow and tuesday... probably
> mostly out of touch, so others may need to handle further edits.
>
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Israel Ekpo <israele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1A: Solr uses Lucene at it's core for indexing
> > 1B: Solr uses Lucene at its core for indexing
>
> Will do.
>
> > 2A: JSON APIs that make it easy to use from virtually any programming
> > language
> > 2B: JSON APIs that makes it easy to use from virtually any programming
> > language
>
> Is that change right?  I'm no english major ;-)
>
> A makes foo easy
> A and B make foo easy
> Multiple A's make foo easy
>
> > 3A: Solr's powerful external configuration allow it to be tailored to
> almost
> > any type of application
> > 3B: Solr's powerful external configuration allows it to be tailored to
> > almost any type of application
>
> Hmm, OK.
>
> > Added a semi-colon to indicate the complete pause
> > 4A: without Java coding, however it has an extensive plugin architecture
> > when more advanced customization is required.
> > 4B: without Java coding; however it has an extensive plugin architecture
> > when more advanced customization is required.
>
> I had already changed this to use "and" instead of "however"... does
> that change things?
> What sounds best?
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>
> -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT --
> Apache Solr 1.4 has been released and is now available for public download!
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr/
>
> Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search
> platform from the Apache Lucene project.  Its major features include
> powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic
> clustering, database integration, and rich document (e.g., Word, PDF)
> handling.  Solr is highly scalable, providing distributed search and
> index replication, and it powers the search and navigation features of
> many of the world's largest internet sites.
>
> Solr is written in Java and runs as a standalone full-text search server
> within a servlet container such as Tomcat.  Solr uses the Lucene Java
> search library at it's core for full-text indexing and search, and has
> REST-like HTTP/XML and JSON APIs that make it easy to use from virtually
> any programming language.  Solr's powerful external configuration allow it
> be tailored to almost any type of application without Java coding, and
> it has an extensive plugin architecture when more advanced
> [...]

About 2B, I am not an English major too :) but I thought since the "it" was
referring to Solr (singular) we should use "makes" instead of "make" but I
think that is OK since I am not 100% sure.

In 3B, I was using the same logic too.

About 4B, I prefer the second version with the "and" instead of "however",
the second version sounds better.

In summary, you guys have done a very good job! I am looking forward to the
official release.

Save journey during your trip.
--
"Good Enough" is not good enough.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.