Should have tried this before... I just created a small XML file:

<foo>
  <bar>hi</bar>
</foo>

I pointed both firefox and IE at this file and it displays as XML fine.
I then changed the file to this:

<foo>
  <zoo:bar>hi</zoo:bar>
</foo>

That made both of them barf.
That alone makes me lean pretty strongly against using a namespace for this.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com