I haven't followed this whole thread... but I wanted to point out that
it probably intersects with the review of grant's latest patch that I
did here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1131

I did want to cut'n'paste something from that post:
: I do want to separate these two issues though:
: 1) field lookup mechanism (currently just exact name in schema
followed by a dynamic field check)
: 2) if and when fields or field types should be explicitly defined in
the schema vs being created by the polyField

My current thought on #1 is that we probably don't want to change the
internal lookup mechanism used by IndexSchema unless we gain
significant power by doing so.  I'm not sure I currently see it.

My thoughts on #2 is more on a case-by-case basis.  For the simple
case of a point class with two fields indexed separately, referencing
a suffix that should be defined as a dynamic field vs referencing a
type seem pretty close.  The latter, while perhaps slightly simpler
for the user, seem to introduce a lot of hidden complexities.  I'm
less concerned than Hoss is about name clashes, but much more
concerned about those complexities.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com