On 6/21/07, Frédéric Glorieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I will also need multiple indexes searches,
>
> Do you mean:

> 2) Multiple indexes with different schemas, search will search across
> all or some subset and combine the results (federated search)

Exactly that. I'm comming from a quite old lucene based project, called SDX
<http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/en/presentation/bases.html>.
Sorry for the link, the project is mainly documented in french. The
framework is cocoon base, maybe heavy now. It allows to host multiple
"applications", with multiple "bases", a base is a kind of Solr Schema,
in 2000.

 From this experience, I can say cross search between different schemas
is possible, and users may find it important. Take for example a
library. They have different collections, lets say : csv records
obtained from digitized photos, a light model, no write waited ; and a
complex librarian model documented every day. These collections share at
least a title and author field, and should be opened behind the same
form for public ; but each one should have also its own application,
according to its information model.

This doesn't sound like true federated search, since you have a number
of fields that are the same in each index that you search across, and
you treat them all the same.  This is functionally equivalent to
having a single schema and a single index.  You can still have
multiple applications that query the single collection differently.

Depending on update patterns and index sizes, you can probably get
better efficiency with multiple indexes, but not really more
functionality (in your case), right?

-Yonik