Thanks Erick for trying to help, I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, I'm
still stuck.

There are times one must know the inner working and behavior of the software to
make design decision and this one is one of them.  If I know the inner working
of Solr, I would not be asking.  In addition, I'm in the design process, so I'm
not able to fully test.  Beside my test could be invalid because I may not set
it up right due to my lack of understanding the inner working of Solr.

Given this, I hope you don't mind me asking again.

If I have two cores, one core has 10 docs another has 100,000 docs.  I then
submit two docs that are 100% identical (with the exception of the unique-ID
fields, which is stored but not indexed) one to each core.  The question is,
during search, will both of those docs rank near each other or not?  If so,
this is great because it will behave the same as if I had one core and index
both docs to this single core.  If not, which core's doc will rank higher and
how far apart the two docs be from each other in the ranking?

Put another way: are docs from the smaller core (the one has 10 docs only) rank
higher or lower compared to docs from the larger core (the one with 100,000)
docs?

Thanks!

-- MJ