On 4/20/2015 2:55 PM, Vijay Bhoomireddy wrote:
> I have configured Solr example server on a pen drive. I have indexed some
> content. The data directory was under example/solr/collection1/data which is
> the default one. After indexing, I stopped the Solr server and unplugged the
> pen drive and reconnected the same. Now, when I navigate to the SolrAdmin
> UI, I cannot see any data in the index.
>
> Any pointers please? In this case, though the installation was on a
> pen-drive, I think it shouldn't matter to Solr on where the data directory
> is. So I believe this data folder wiping has happened due to server
> shutdown. Will the data folder be wiped off if the server is restarted or
> stopped? How to save the index data between machine failures or planned
> maintenances?

If you are using the default Directory implementation in your
solrconfig.xml (NRTCachingDirectoryFactory for 4.x and later,
MMapDirectoryFactory for newer 3.x versions), then everything should be
persisted correctly.

Did you properly unmount/eject the removable volume before you unplugged
it?  On a non-windows OS, you might also want to run the 'sync'
command.  If you didn't do the unmount/eject, you can't be sure that the
filesystem was properly closed and fully up-to-date on the device.

What version of Solr did you use and how exactly did you start Solr and
the example?  How did you stop Solr?

Thanks,
Shawn