From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Sent: 20 April 2015 22:34
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr Index data lost

On 4/20/2015 2:55 PM, Vijay Bhoomireddy wrote:
> I have configured Solr example server on a pen drive. I have indexed
> some content. The data directory was under
> example/solr/collection1/data which is the default one. After
> indexing, I stopped the Solr server and unplugged the pen drive and
> reconnected the same. Now, when I navigate to the SolrAdmin UI, I cannot see
> any data in the index.
>
> Any pointers please? In this case, though the installation was on a
> pen-drive, I think it shouldn't matter to Solr on where the data
> directory is. So I believe this data folder wiping has happened due to
> server shutdown. Will the data folder be wiped off if the server is
> restarted or stopped? How to save the index data between machine
> failures or planned maintenances?

If you are using the default Directory implementation in your solrconfig.xml
(NRTCachingDirectoryFactory for 4.x and later, MMapDirectoryFactory for newer
3.x versions), then everything should be persisted correctly.

Did you properly unmount/eject the removable volume before you unplugged it?
On a non-windows OS, you might also want to run the 'sync'
command.  If you didn't do the unmount/eject, you can't be sure that the
filesystem was properly closed and fully up-to-date on the device.

What version of Solr did you use and how exactly did you start Solr and the
example?  How did you stop Solr?

Thanks,
Shawn

--
The contents of this e-mail are confidential and for the exclusive use of
the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail in error please delete