Ahh, good point about setting waitSearcher=true, I should have thought of that.
Although the default is set to "true", so unless you're doing
something different
that should be set already.

Look at your Solr logs and see if you find messages about "too many warming
searchers" or some such. IN that case I _think_ you'll return without opening
a new searcher and that might be your problem.

The retry loop would just be running your query and seeing if the
returned doc had
the most recent update in it, sleeping a bit and trying again. But setting
waitSearcher=true should do this if you don't exceed max warming searchers.

Best,
Erick