Just to re-iterate Charles' response with an example, we have a system
which needs to be as Near RT as we can make it.  So we have application
level commitWith set to 250ms.  Yes, we have to turn off a lot of caching,
auto-warming, etc, but it was necessary to make the index as real time as
we needed it to be.  Now we have the benefit of being able to throw a lot
of hardware, RAM and SSDs at this in order to get any kind of sane search
latency.

We have the luxury of being able to afford that, but it comes with other
problems because we have an index that is changing so fast (replicating to
other nodes in the cloud becomes tricky, peer sync fails most of the time,
etc.)

What is your use case that requires this level of real-time access?