So I ran "nc -l 8983" then restarted solr, and then ran my app with my query. nc reported the following:

GET /solr/EventLog/spellCheckCompRH?qt=%2FspellCheckCompRH&q=Some+more+text+wit+some+missspelled+wordz.&spellcheck=on&spellcheck.build=true&wt=javabin&version=2 HTTP/1.1
Host: dell9-tir:8983
Connection: Keep-Alive

I'm not sure if this is good, or indicates an error of any kind.

Anyway, when I ran my app again, I got a completely different error, although I didn't change anything! So, I guess I get to move on from this and see what other hurdles I run into!

Thanks for the help!
Mark