Doug:

You can pull any version of Solr from Git.

git clone https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git some_local_dir

Then git will let you check out any previous branch. 4.2 is from before we
switched to Git, co I’m not sure you can go that far back, but 4x is probably
close enough for comparing configs.

All that said, and assuming you’re going to either 7x or 8x… I’d just think
about starting over. Once you get the old configs and account for

1> any schema changes.
2> any config changes, _especially_ any custom components

Consider starting with a current version of Solr and re-indexing. You’ll
absolutely _have_ to re-index _all_ your source material anyway so thinking
about going from 4x->5x->6x->7x->8x is futile anyway.

Best,
Erick