We've been using a Lucene index as the main data-store for ActiveMath, the indexing process of which takes the XML fragments apart and stores them in an organized way, including storage of the relationships both ways.

The difference between SQL and Lucene in this case? Pure java was the major reason back then. The performance of Lucene stayed top as well (compared to XML databases).

As of now because of 2.0, we had to split out the storage of the fragments themselves, keeping the rest in Lucene, because the functionality to reliably read and write fields and never have them be loaded as single strings has been missing us. Maybe it's back in 2.3...

Our fragments' size vary from 20 byte to 2 MBytes... about 25k of them is normal.

I'm looking forward to, one day, recycle it all to solr which would finally take care of it all in terms of index update and read management, adding a Luke-like web-access.

Scalability of Lucene has always been top.
Joins are not there... I could get along without them.
Summaries are also not really there... but again, we could get along without them.

paul