Solr offers no configuration for FieldCache, neither in solrconfig.xml nor
anywhere else; rather, that cache gets populated automatically in the depths
of Lucene when you do a sort (or also apparently, as Yonik says, when you
use a field in a function query).

>From the wiki: 'Lucene has a low level "FieldCache" which is used for
sorting (and in some cases faceting). This cache is not managed by Solr it
has no configuration options and cannot be autowarmed -- it is initialized
the first time it is used for each Searcher.' (
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCaching)