I dont have that answer as I was asking a general question, not one for a
specific situation I am encountering).

what I am essentially asking for is: is there a short, simple and generic
method/technique to deal with large numbers of dynamic fields (rather than
having to specify each and every test on each and every dynamic field) in a
query

what originally prompted this question is I was looking at FunctionQueries
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery) and started to wonder if there
was some way to create my own functions to handle dynamic fields.