> I dont have that answer as I was asking a general question, not one for a
> specific situation I am encountering).

I can understand :)

what I am essentially asking for is: is there a short, simple and generic
> method/technique to deal with large numbers of dynamic fields (rather than
> having to specify each and every test on each and every dynamic field) in a
> query

Not as of now. There are a lot of open issues in Solr aiming to handle
dynamic fields in an intuitive way. SolrJ has already been made capable of
binding dynamic field content into Java beans (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1129). Faceting on "myField_*" (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1387) and adding SolrDocuments
with "Map<String, String> myField_*" (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1357) are just some of the
enhancements on the way.

what originally prompted this question is I was looking at FunctionQueries (
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery) and started to wonder if there
> was some way to create my own functions to handle dynamic fields.

I don't think you need function queries here. Function queries are supposed
to return score for a document based on their ValueSource. What you probably
need is a custom QueryParser.

Cheers
Avlesh