On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Prasanna R <plistma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
> shalinman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > >  I am curious how an approach that simply uses the wildcard query
> > > functionality on an indexed field would work.
> >

> > It works fine as long as the terms are not repeated across documents.
> >

>  I do not follow why terms repeating across documents would be an issue. As
> long as you can differentiate between multiple matches and rank them
> properly it should work right?

A prefix search would return documents. If a field X being used for
auto-complete has the same value in two documents then the user will see the
same value being suggested twice.

> > > While Solr does not support
> > > wildcard queries out of the box currently, it will definitely be
> included
> > > in
> > > the future and I believe the edismax parser already lets you do that.
> >

> > Solr supports prefix queries and there's a reverse wild card filter in
> > trunk
> > too.
> >

> Are you referring to facet prefix queries as prefix queries? I looked at
> reversed wild card filter but think that the regular wild card matching as
> opposed to leading wild card matching is better suited for an
> auto-completion feature.

No, I'm talking about regular prefix search e.g. field:val*

> > We do auto-complete through prefix searches on shingles.
> >

> Just to confirm, do you mean using EdgeNgram filter to produce letter
> ngrams
> of the tokens in the chosen field?

No, I'm talking about prefix search on tokens produced by a ShingleFilter.

> Assuming the regular wild card query would also work, any thoughts on how
> it
> compares to the EdgeNGram approach in terms of added indexing cost,
> performance, etc.?

With EdgeNGram, you can do phrase (exact) matches which are faster. But if
you have a big corpus of terms then EdgeNGramFilter can produce too many
tokens. In some places we are using phrase search on n-gram, in other places
(with more terms) we opted for prefix search on shingles.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.