So I fired up about 100 cores and used JMeter to fire off a few thousand
queries. It looks like the memory usage isn't much worse than running a
single shard. So thats good.

I'm really curious if there is a clever solution to the obvious problem
with: "So your better off using a single index and with a user id and use
a query filter with the user id when fetching data.", i.e.. when you have
hundreds of thousands of user IDs tagged on each article. That just doesn't
sound like it scales very well..

Cheers,
Mike