That's a great point. If SSDs are sufficient, then what does the "Index size
vs Response time" curve look like? Since that would dictate the number of
machines needed. I took a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceData but only one use case seemed
comparable. We currently have about 25M docs, split into 18 shards, with a
total index size of about 120GB. If index size has truly little impact on
performance then perhaps tagging articles with user IDs is a better way to
approach my use case.

-Mike