On Sep 9, 2011, at 6:54 PM, Pulkit Singhal wrote:

> Thanks Again.
>
> Another question:
>
> My solr.xml has:
>  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" defaultCoreName="master1">
>    <core name="master1" instanceDir="." shard="shard1" collection="myconf"/>
>  </cores>
>
> And I omitted -Dcollection.configName=myconf from the startup command
> because I felt that specifying collection="myconf" should take care of
> that:
> cd /trunk/solr/example
> java -Dbootstrap_confdir=./solr/conf -Dslave=disabled -DzkRun -jar start.jar

I don't think so? The CoreAdmin handler takes a collection= param to name the
collection the SolrCore belongs to. This is different than setting the name of
the config file set to use. If you don't specify anything, I believe it
defaults to configuration1. The conf file set name has nothing to do with the
collection name.

> But the zookeeper.jsp page doesn't seem to take any of that into
> effect and shows:
>     /collections (v=6 children=1)
>          collection1 (v=0 children=1) "configName=configuration1"
>               shards (v=0 children=1)
>                    shard1 (v=0 children=1)
>                         tiklup-mac.local:8983_solr_ (v=0)
> "node_name=tiklup-mac.local:8983_solr
> url=http://tiklup-mac.local:8983/solr/";
>
> Then what is the point of naming the core and the collection?

The SolrCore name determines which URL's to use to work with that core. The
collection name determines which collection the SolrCore acts as a shard in.
The collection.configName is the name of the config file set you are uploading
- if you leave it out, it's called configuration1.

> - Pulkit
>
> 2011/9/9 Yury Kats <yuryk...@yahoo.com>:
>> On 9/9/2011 10:52 AM, Pulkit Singhal wrote:
>>> Thank You Yury. After looking at your thread, there's something I must
>>> clarify: Is solr.xml not uploaded and held in ZooKeeper?
>>
>> Not as far as I understand. Cores are loaded/created by the local
>> Solr server based on solr.xml and then registered with ZK, so that
>> ZK know what cores are out there and how they are organized in shards.
>>

>>> because you have a slightly different config between Node 1 & 2:
>>> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Replication-setup-with-SolrCloud-Zk-td2952602.html
>>

>> I have two shards, each shard having a master and a slave core.
>> Cores are located so that master and slave are on different nodes.
>> This protects search (but not indexing) from node failure.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com
2011.lucene-eurocon.org | Oct 17-20 | Barcelona