Sorry a message got sent without me finishing it up, ctrl+s is not save but
send ... sigh!

Yes now I'm sure that
a) collection="blah" in solr.xml, and
b) -Dcollection.configName="myconf" at cmd line
actually fill in values for two very different fields.

Here's why I say so:

Example config # 1:
<core name="master1" instanceDir="." shard="shard1" collection="*scaleDeep*
"/>
java -Dcollection.configName=*myconf* ... -DzkRun -jar start.jar

Results in:
/collections (v=6 children=1)
        *scaleDeep* (v=0 children=1) "configName=*myconf*"

Example config # 2:
<core name="master1" instanceDir="." shard="shard1" collection="*scaleDeep*
"/>
java -Dcollection.configName=*scaleDeep* ... -DzkRun -jar start.jar

Results in:
/collections (v=6 children=1)
        *scaleDeep* (v=0 children=1) "configName=*scaleDeep*"

What do you think about that? I maybe mis-interpreting the results so
please please feel free to set me straight on this.

Also it would be nice if I knew the code well enough to just look @ it
and give an authoritative answer. Does anyone have that kind of
expertise? Reverse-engineering is getting a bit mundane.

Thanks!
- Pulkit

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Pulkit Singhal
> <pulkitsing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1s of all, thanks everyone, your expertise and time is much appreciated.
>>
>> @Jamie:
>> Great suggestion, I just have one small objection to it ... I wouldn't
>> want to mix the core's name with the collection's configName. Wouldn't
>> you also want to keep the two separate for clarity? What do you think
>> about that?
>>
>> @Yury:
>> Overall what you said makes sense and I'll roll with it. But FYI,
>> through experimentation I found out that collection="myconf" does not
>> become the value for configName when I inspect ZooKeeper.jsp, here's
>> an example of what shows up if I setup the solr.xml file but don't say
>> anything in the cmd line startup:
>>
>> myconf (v=0 children=1) "configName=configuration1"
>>
>> But perhaps that's exactly what you are trying to warn me about. I'll
>> experiment more and get back.
>>
>> - Pulkit
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jamie Johnson <jej2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> as a note you could change out the values in solr.xml to be as follows
>>> and pull these values from System Properties.
>>>
>>>  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores"
defaultCoreName="${collection.configName}">