There were some changes in solrconfig.xml between solr3.1 and solr3.5.
Always read CHANGES.txt when switching to a new version.
Also helpful is comparing both versions of solrconfig.xml from the examples.

Are you sure you need a MaxPermSize of 5g?
Use jvisualvm to see what you really need.
This is also for all other JAVA_OPTS.