And based on the previous explanation there is never a "copy of a shard". A
shard represents and contains only replicas for itself, replicas being copies of cores
within the shard.

On 1/3/2013  11:58 AM Walter Underwood wrote:<br>A "factor" is multiplied, so
multiplying the leader by a replicationFactor of 1 means you have exactly one copy of that
shard.
and in the literat…err…books.
can run several Solr server JVMs if you like)
"logical" tables in RDBMS)
for the "logical" table in a RDBMS)
slice). This is where data actually goes on disk - the logical "stores" and "slices" above are just non-physical
concepts
called a "node". Maybe sometimes it is called a "node", but I believe "node" is more often used to refer
to a "Solr server JVM".
"Shard". I agree with that change, because I believe most of the industry also uses the term "Shard" for this
logical/non-physical concept  - just needs to be reflected it across documentation and code
"Replica", because it suggests that it is a copy of an "original", but it isnt. I would prefer "Shard-instance" here, to avoid the confusion. I understand that you can argue
(if you argue long enough) that "Replica" is a fine name, but you really need the explanation to understand why "Replica" can be defended as the name for this. Is is not immediately
obvious what this is as long as it is called "Replica". A "Replica" is basically a Solr Cloud managed Core and behind every Replica/Core lives a physical Lucene index. So Replica=Core)
contains/maintains Lucene index behind the scenes. The term "Replica" also needs to be reflected across documentation and code.