My answer as usual - BlockJoin.
index group as a parent document, and every membership as a child doc. In
this case you somehow "denormalize" your items - every item will be indexed
N times where N is a number of groups it belongs to. Potentially it can
lead to duplication problem, but you haven't mention it yet.

In this case single field for sorting is enough.

then you can search by ToChildQuery(GRP_NAME:foo) than gives you foo's
children.

BJQ-101:
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2012/01/searching-relational-content-with.html
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2012/01/tochildblockjoinquery-in-lucene.html

forgot to mention there is a price for blazing speed, when you need to
change membership you need to reindex whole block.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

<http://www.griddynamics.com>