Wow! Thanks Shawn. That's great info and helped and thanks for the
SolrPerformance article link, great article, helped a lot :)

I can't use Cloud hosting now since they charge on basis of the memory used
and it will be too expensive and like you said RAM and SSD is what I need
for SOLR performance.

In my solrconfig.xml I've got these caching config by default which I don't
think I will need. Since my index is updated with new documents every 3
minutes caching anything would be pointless. Am I on the right ?

<!--        <filterCache class="solr.FastLRUCache" size="512"
initialSize="512" autowarmCount="0" />
        <queryResultCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="512"
initialSize="512" autowarmCount="0" />
        <documentCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="512" initialSize="512"
autowarmCount="0" />    -->

If yes, saying I have an index of 80GB and since I won't be using cache I
won't have to worry about having too much RAM ? May be just enough ram for
processing ? say 8GB ram and 240GB SSD ?