From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 9:18 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr 4.3 Startup with Multiple Cores Hangs on "Registering Core"

bq: I'm actually not using the transaction log (or the
NRTCachingDirectoryFactory); it's currently set up to use the
MMapDirectoryFactory,

This isn't relevant to whether you're using the update log or not, this is just
how the index is handled. Look for something in your solrconfig.xml
like:
 <updateLog>
      <str name="dir">${solr.ulog.dir:}</str>
    </updateLog>

The other thing to check is if you have files in a "tlog" directory that's a
sibling to your index directory as Hoss suggested.

You may well NOT have any transaction log, but it's something to check.