So I found out the issue here...  It was related to what you guys said
regarding the Map object in my document.  The problem is that I had data
being serialized from DB -> .NET -> JSON and some of the fields in .NET was
== System.DBNull.Value instead of null.  This caused the JSON serializer to
write out an object (ie. Map) so when these fields got deserialized into
the SolrInputDocument it had the Map objects as you indicated.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!