So far, I successfully managed to create a core from my existing
configuration by opening this URL in my browser:

http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=glPrototypeCore&instanceDir=/etc/solr

New status from http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/cores?action=STATUS is:

<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">4</int>
</lst>
<lst name="status">
<lst name="">
<str name="name"/>
<str name="instanceDir">/usr/share/solr/./</str>
<str name="dataDir">/var/lib/solr/data/</str>
<date name="startTime">2014-01-23T08:42:39.087Z</date>
<long name="uptime">3056197</long>
<lst name="index">
<int name="numDocs">4401029</int>
<int name="maxDoc">4401029</int>
<long name="version">1370010628806</long>
<int name="segmentCount">12</int>
<bool name="current">true</bool>
<bool name="hasDeletions">false</bool>
<str name="directory">
org.apache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory:org.apache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory@/var/lib/solr/data/index
lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory@77c58801
</str>
<date name="lastModified">2013-10-29T14:17:22Z</date>
</lst>
</lst>
<lst name="glPrototypeCore">
<str name="name">glPrototypeCore</str>
<str name="instanceDir">/etc/solr/</str>
<str name="dataDir">/var/lib/solr/data/</str>
<date name="startTime">2014-01-23T09:29:30.019Z</date>
<long name="uptime">245267</long>
lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory@5ad83862
</str>
<date name="lastModified">2013-10-29T14:17:22Z</date>
</lst>
</lst>
</lst>
</response>

>From my understanding I now have an unnamed core and a core named
"glPrototypeCore" which uses the same configuration.

I copied the files data-config.xml, schema.xml into a new directory
"/etc/solr/glinstance" and tried to create another core but this always
throws me error 400. I even tried by adding the schema- and
config-parameters with full path, but this did not lead to any
difference. Also I don't understand what the "dataDir"-parameter is for.
I could not find any data-directories in /etc/solr/ but the creation of
the first core worked anyway.

Can someone help? Is there any better place for my new
instance-directory and what files do I really need?