Jack,

 I mis-stated the problem , I am not using the OR operator as default
now(now that I think about it it does not make sense to use the default
operator OR along with the mm parameter) , the reason I want to use pf and
mm in conjunction is because of my understanding of the edismax parser and
I have not looked into pf2 and pf3 parameters yet.

I will state my understanding here below.

Pf -  Is used to boost the result score if the complete phrase matches.
mm <(less than) search term length would help limit the query results  to a
certain number of better matches.

With that being said would it make sense to have dynamic mm (set to the
length of search term - 1)?

I also have a question around using a fuzzy search along with eDismax
parser , but I will ask that in a seperate post once I go thru that aspect
of eDismax parser.

Thanks again !