Hello Vaio-Z-List members,

during the last months i have been using Karmic (since its first
bleeding-edge alpha) and much have been changed since Jaunty.
One important thing is the more 'pure' usage of Upstart as process
management deamon (replacing more and more the /sbin/init scripts).
I just now have installed the last sony-laptop module (0.9np1) as
published by Norbert Preining [1] on a VGN-Z21MN_B (the one without wwan
and fingerprintreader and 1366x768 graphics).
I saw that there are different outputs from lspci on different models,
so I had to change the init-scripts a little bit for autodiscovery. [2]
Finally i wrote a script called:

        /etc/X11/switch-x-to {intel|nvidia|load-nvidia-settings} [3]

that must be invoked with one of the three arguments between the "{ }".

the first two arguments are self explanatory, the last one I use to load
my nVidia Settings as I manage them in the settings-Manager from nVidia:

        sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

that makes a complicated xorg.conf file unnecessary but one have first
to run the nvidia-settings manager and setup a rc-file, save the
settings you want to restore on reboot and enter the path to that
rc-file in the top of the 'switch-x-to'-script.

Now I invoke this scripts with the Upstart mechanism with the
file /etc/init/gdm.conf. in the 'script'-part of that file, in the
beginning, directly after

respawn

and before

script

I have added this 'pre-start'-section:

pre-start script
    gc=nvidia; lspci|grep -qs nVidia || gc=intel
    /etc/X11/switch-x-to $gc
end script

and after the end of the 'script'-part, just after

end script

I have added this 'post-start'-section:

post-start script
    [ x$gc = xnvidia ] && /etc/X11/switch-x-to load-nvidia-settings
end script

at the end of the file.

Maybe some of you like my approach to solve this.

[1] = kernel-module
[2] = wiki-page explaining everything for newbies
[3] = switch-x-to script

[1]
http://www.logic.at/people/preining/software/sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np1.tar.gz
[2] http://global-social.net/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=3