Hello,

In karmic, there is no more xorg.conf but we can create one and the options
in it are used when X starts.

You have missed a ".1" in the libgl name in the part between the marks (>>
.. <<)
libgl='/usr/lib/libGL.so*.1*'
libglx='/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so'

And for the grub parameters in Karmic there is grub2, so we should add them
to /etc/default/grub :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2006\" acpi_backlight=vendor"

I'll continue the install and tell you what happens after.
Best regards,
--
Wayde.