Hello everybody!

I'm totally new to Soya3d (and to 3d programming... it's always been
good ole 2d graphics for me up till now), and I'm wondering about three
things:

The (probobaly) easy one: For things like selection of multiple units,
it'd be nice to draw a 2d rectangle on the screen. Is there a way to do
this, short of some horrible abuses of the widget system? Something like
"drawPixel(x, y, color)"?

The probobaly harder one: For some purposes, it might be nice to
highlight a portion of the ground (think about the "unit selection"
rings on the ground around a selected unit or highlighting the area that
will be occupied by a building on the ground). The only idea I have been
able to come up with was a directional light source that would shine at
the area, or something really really sick involving a slightly elevated
copy of the terrain with a mostly transparent texture. Both ways feel
like they are very definitely not what one should do.

The third thing: I can get the mouse coords translated to 3d coords, but
I have to supply a z coordinate. I haven't been able to find anything
similiar where I can supply the y coordinate. Do I really have to get
the 3d coords for 2 different z values, and calculate the 3d coords for
a given y value from that?

I'd be really thankful for any pointers concerning any of these three
things.

Thanks a lot in advance,
-Wojtek