Jan Ciger wrote:

> Sorry, no. Distribution is *not* use. Distribution is fairly clearly
> defined in both the license and the copyright law.

I think we're getting sidetracked by choice of words here.
What I mean to say is that the GPL not only says what
you *can* do with the software, it also says what you
*can't* do with it (i.e. modify + distribute + don't provide
source).

Those restrictions are mainly what distinguishes the
GPL from most other open-source licences. So, the GPL-ness
of the GPL is mainly about imposing restrictions, not
granting freedoms. If granting freedoms is *all* you
want to do, you don't need to use the GPL.

--
Greg