Jan Ciger wrote:
> Compared to v2 that tried to deal only with issues of distribution and
> copying, v3 tries to go into restricting certain uses

But the GPL has always been about restricting uses. If it
weren't, it wouldn't be much different from any of the
other, more liberal open source licences.

> Who gives you the right to restrict my rights to my
> hardware in such way?

If I were a GPL enthusiast, I would probably answer that
you have a right to restrict your hardware however you
want, but not necessarily to use *my* program to help
you do it.

> making my HW tamper-proof ... brings me more revenue (and perhaps
 > it is even a legal must - e.g. medical equipment!)

Tamper-proofing for reasons of safety or security is one
thing. But doing it for the reasons that Sony or TiVo do,
i.e. simply to lock out competitors, is kind of opposite
to the whole spirit of free software, and it rubs the
GPL people up the wrong way.

Personally I think the whole GPL business is more trouble
than it's worth, and I prefer to use much less restrictive
licences for what I release. But I can understand the GPL
community's point of view -- they're trying to operate a
gift economy, and they see someone who only takes gifts
and never gives any back as being parasitical.

--
Greg