Jan Korger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That's not a good solution, it's a workaround. I understand the
> distinguishing between spam and spam related/quoting mails is hard, if not
> impossible but I don't want to workaround this by whitelisting (or
> not passing to SA at all) SAtalk because this allows any spam sent to the
> list to reach me unfiltered and so far this was my first false positive
> on SAtalk, so it isn't a big problem anyways. I'll keep the rules in my
> personal SA config, so no spammer will know anyways.

Well, since you brought it up, I think the solution for mailing lists,
especially ones like SpamAssassin (where recipients can't really
filter) is to combine SpamAssassin-style filtering with a TMDA-style
password system.  Basically:

  - if a message sent to list scores high enough, have the list software
    reject it, sending a TMDA-style auto-response with a "bypass" password
  - resent email can be accepted into mailing list if it has the password
  - add in a whitelist system (also like TMDA otherwise people would be
    sending passwords until the end of time on mailing lists like SA)

It's important to use a TMDA-style password system rather than relying
on the list admin.  List admins of non-moderated lists tend to be rather
slow about approving messages that have been held over by list software
(such as mailman).

An aside: I find TMDA to be obnoxious and egotistic when used by
individuals on everyone else regardless of the content of the message
(in fact, I don't think I've ever responded to a TMDA auto-response from
an individual), but I think it's acceptable to unleash it on suspicious
(meaning, high-scoring) email sent to entire mailing lists.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan                      Linux, open source, and
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/    anti-spam consulting