> From: Jan Korger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On 2 Nov 2002, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
>
> > Jan Korger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Therefore I suggest adding a rule with a negative score assigned matching
> > > spam reports in message bodies. This is especially usefull for SAtalk,
> > > better than whitelisting as the latter one would also all spam sent to the
> > > list address to pass. (This is true for the AWL as well.) Such a rule
> > > would is not very likely ever to be found in a spam message unless
> > > spammers do try hard to bypass SA.
> >
> > I think that might be *way* too enticing for spammers.  The solution is
> > to just exempt SAtalk and other spam-related mailing lists from spam
> > filtering.
>
> That's not a good solution, it's a workaround. I understand the
> distinguishing between spam and spam related/quoting mails is hard, if not
> impossible but I don't want to workaround this by whitelisting (or
> not passing to SA at all) SAtalk because this allows any spam sent to the
> list to reach me unfiltered and so far this was my first false positive
> on SAtalk, so it isn't a big problem anyways. I'll keep the rules in my
> personal SA config, so no spammer will know anyways.

I get false positives to SAtalk all the time.  All of my mail passes
through SA, but what happens from there is done by procmail, and SAtalk
is one of the things that gets processed before I check for "is it spam?"
Otherwise I end up with about 5 to 10 SAtalk messages per week in my
spam folder.  That gets old.

The problem with your logic is that ... how do you know spammers aren't
reading SAtalk?  "Hey, we can get around at least SOME people's spam
filtering by making it look like a quoted report!"

And the other side of the coin is ... how many spam messages (not reports
from list members talking about a spam they caught) have you seen come
through SAtalk?  I have yet to see one.  It could happen, sure, but I don't
consider it to be any more likely than spammers trying to write better
spam by using SA themselves and reading SAtalk to see what people are doing
to augment their SA installation.  In fact, for that reason, I would expect
any spammer that finds out about this list to specifically not spam the
list, but instead use it as a resource for writing better spam.  It's not
like anyone on this list is a potential customer.