I have a question for the group. How much work is it to install and maintain a
mailhost integrated with spam assassin for a company of about 40 employees. We
have experience with sendmail and linux.

My IT guy gives the following estimate.  He's comparing this with the
administrative cost for installing and running PureMessage.

-- Time estimates for an open source solution:
 -- 60+ hours to setup and test sendmail/anti-virus/RBL/anti-spam
software from source.
 -- 8 hours every month to verify that things are working and up to date
 -- 8 hours every month to upgrade software (sendmail/RBL/virus/spam, all
different)
 -- 8 hours of down time every month while working and testing

Look, I don't know how did your IT man sorted out these numbers, but I've installed 9 Sendmail servers with H+EBDV Antivir Mailgate and SpamAssassin as a Milter (with Spamass-Milter), and it took me about 40 hours to get all of them working, here in our Faculty. Since Open Source software is the only choice we can afford, and it has proven that is the sollution that most flexibly adaptes to changing scenarios, and, even more, it has the BEST support policy I've known (we all make our tiny contributions, but the final product gets improved VERY fast and VERY well), I'd say this is your best choice.
The maintenance time of all the servers is virtually nothing, since the antivirus auto updates itself, and recompilling the sendmail source and the SA source it's a breeze, due to the similarity of the architecture of all the nine servers.
The support of this mailing list was crucial to get the actual performance, and I think you should ask more here, and once you get the whole picture, start with the new setup.
I'm one of the less skilled here, but the rest of the people does really know what they're doing.

Regards,
                   Luis Hernán Otegui
                 Administrador de Red
            Facultad de Ciencias Exactas
                             UNLP
GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You..."