Oh, I'm sure a bit of it is also 'not invented here' syndrome; if it was
worth using, I'd have thought of it myself.

Or maybe he's just real careful, wants to pay lots of attention to it.

Or, he's hoping to scare people away.

This, of course, is when you mention that you can have it done in a day for
four hundred bucks. :-)