Yes, he's probably padding his estimates.  No, it's not evil or
unreasonable.  It's far better to highball your time estimates, and not have
to use it all, then to lowball them, and come up against problems.

That way, on the one day that the mail server DOES blow up, and it takes him
8 hours to rebuild everything, he's covered.  He doesn't have an angry CEO
yelling at him 'I THOUGHT YOU SAID THIS LINUX SHIT DIDN'T HAVE DOWNTIME!'