<snip... snip... snip.. ouch>
> > In your sendmail.cf you'll want to tune:
> >
> > QueueLA
> > RefuseLA
> > MaxDaemonChildren
> > ConnectionRateThrottle

This is all really interesting to me as we have had mail wars on occassion
on our large servers. Some of them are self-inflicted eg some system process
has problems, sends mail to indicate prob, the sent mail makes the prob worse
generating more mail...   Obviously some of this is due to (faulty?) sysadmin
philosophy. Compare this to netsaint which only reports a host or service (like
smtp) down once, doesn't rebroadcast, can even be tuned to report only during
certain hours. Other things (like disk gets full, breaks procmail and thus
spamassassin) are not as easy to deal with. I've set the above params (btw,
sendmail must be compiled specially to get load-average working) but have
also changed the default sendmail startup to run the que every 5 minutes.

But even more importantly is the concept of running several queues
simultaneously rather than single-threaded st if one thing blocks the que...
see
 http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.12/TUNING

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies