Simon Byrnand said:

> >  So quickly that it makes me suspicious as to what was REALLY
> >wrong. Maybe something more than just load, or RBL problems. Maybe a
> >locking problem.
>
> Nope, this is a problem with stock installs of sendmail/procmail and/or a
> lack of memory. How much memory does the server have ? Roughly how many
> messages a day do you process ?
>
> In your sendmail.cf you'll want to tune:
>
> QueueLA
> RefuseLA
> MaxDaemonChildren
> ConnectionRateThrottle
>
> of course what you tune them to depends on the specs of your server.

BTW, postfix has a very nice solution -- you tell it how many concurrent
local delivery processes you want to support, and it limits itself to
that.  That doesn't effect how many postfix SMTP listeners, queue
processors, remote-delivery processes, etc. are run  A lot cleaner than
sendmail's load-average stuff, which is a bit too reactive for my taste ;)

--j.