----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Gostl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "SpamAssassin listserve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 5:38 AM
Subject: [SAtalk] Max children

> I've seen this two or three times now, and I'm not sure what to make of
> it.
>
> Outward appearance is that we get hit with a ton of spam, or perhaps that
> an RBL goes out. I wind up with many copies of spamd running, many more
> than the -m parameter should allow. (And forget about procmail and
> sendmail. Hundreds of copies.) They never seem to go away, or at best, go
> away very, very slowly.
>
> The monitors show that disk activity is through the roof.
>
> They all but cripple the machine. Then I go in and kill sendmail, kill all
> the procmails and spamds, and restart things, and everything clear up very
> quickly. So quickly that it makes me suspicious as to what was REALLY
> wrong. Maybe something more than just load, or RBL problems. Maybe a
> locking problem.
>
> I've gone out to CPAN and made sure that all my modules are current, and
> that alone may fix it, but after that, what should I look for to help
> troubleshoot this one.

I've seen behavior similar to this in 2.5x and only twice since i moved to
2.60-cvs  I actually started using proccess accounting for the spamd account
beacuse of a lack of workaround.   I normally set --max-children to 10 (On a
pretty beefy machine that's load average is usually ~0.2).  One of my users
runs fetchmail about once a day, manually.  About one time in twenty
(speaking purely anecdotally) spamd does not honor it's max-children
settings, and has to get throttled by the kernel.  I've traced each email as
it's come through, and even been watching my logs while it happened, but I
have never been able to reproduce it.  I figured it's probably something
wacky in my local setup or config.

I find that a simple "killall -9 spamd" allowed me to grab control of my
machine without having to restart the entire mail subsystem.  (I run spamd
and spamc on seperate machines)  Besides, the worst you'll get with a dead
spamd is a spam in your inbox.  woooooo... what was life before SA?

Anything mounted over NFS?  Race condition?  Lay down some policy-law and
throttle the processes/users in-kernel?  Now that I know i'm not the only
one, i'll actually be motivated to figure it out... ;-)

-r