--On Monday, October 20, 2003 5:19 PM -0400 Roger Merchberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Get rid of SMTP. Create an entirely new protocol on an entirely new port,
and have it *trusted* every step of the way. Even if we had to licence
its use [gawd, I'd hate that!] with abuse of this new protocol clearly
spelled out - if it's not trusted, it doesn't connect. If a spammer does
get ahold of an IP address to the network, shut it down immediately, then
find out who gave it out and hold them and/or their ISP responsible.

The problem is social, not technical. SMTP is adequately secure. Modern distros ship sendmail in a non-relaying configuration. When you purchase email services, you are trusting the supplier and everyone he trusts (by accepting mail).

I continue to advocate pushing all non-text attachments into a slow queue, inbound or outbound, for their higher cost of handling. Discourage HTML and images this way and those who truly need them will still be able to use them (at the cost of delayed delivery) while those savvy enough to use plaintext will get 1st class delivery.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by OSDN developer relations Here's your chance to show off your extensive product knowledge We want to know what you know. Tell us and you have a chance to win $100 http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?HRPT1X3RYQNC5V4MLNSV3E54 _______________________________________________ Spamassassin-talk mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/spamassassin-talk