Bill Larson wrote:
You clearly don't understand that most spam complaints do not go to the
spammers. It's called a joe job and it's something I am suffering under
right now. We have received well over 5,000 spam complaints from mostly
automated ignorant systems in the last 2 weeks.

I don't believe that what Chris was proposing was to send complaints automatically or even without doing the proper research first, to find the real perps and their ISP. It is possible, although sometimes difficult and time consuming, to find out where the spam really did originate from. For more information on how to do that, take a look at the SPAM-L FAQ: http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/. The SPAM-L mail list discusses the techniques that spammers use to hide their tracks and how to find where they're hiding (among many other spam related topics).

In fact, what Chris proposed does work. There is an ISP in Florida that used to be a haven for spammers. (A huge volume of spam originates from Florida.) After receiving a lot of complaints from members of the SPAM-L list, the ISP cracked down on the spammers and booted them off their network. One of their admins is now on the SPAM-L list and actively participates in finding and shutting down spammer's access. In fact he shut one down two days ago. The spammer was using trojaned systems at a well known east coast university to disguise his location.

And yes, being the recipient of a joe job is very frustrating. My personal email is now flooded with bounce messages because I've been joe jobbed.

Cheers,
Bob
--
                                Bob Amen