| Making a direct outbound connection on port 25 is not "running an email
| server", any more than making a direct outbound connection on port 80 is
| "running an HTTP server."

Running any type of "Server" is a violation of every consumer high speed
access connection TOS.

Call it what you want, but if it serves, it's a Server

No can do

Unless I misunderstand what a server is, I think anything that
provides content, (web, ftp, email, telnet, ssh, etc...) is classified
as a server.

Again, No can do

This is not saying "you are not able to do so", that would be
rediculous, but undrestand, a consumer connection to the Internet
is just that... consumption, not delivering....

consumers receive, servers serve.

cable subscribers, residential subscribers are consumers
Not Servers

IMHO all consumer IP blocks should be uni directional and only
allowed input traffic.

Unfortunately, the TC/IP protocol makes this difficult, but not impossible
to control.

Frankly, there is no email that needs to be delivered immediatly and
the only overloaded ISP email servers are those freebee email services
which usually get blown out by spam filters anyway.

The Rule of Thumb:

Just because you have cable or dsl does not mean you're an ISP or
gonna make a fortune on the internet.

If you want into the business, build the plan, see the bank, take the risk.

Otherwise, you are no better than the spammer that is trying to make
a quick buck no a cable connection.

I think that was about a half a bucks worth....

Best Regards

Greg