On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Greg Cirino - Cirelle Enterprises wrote:

> From: Greg Cirino - Cirelle Enterprises <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:05:05 -0500
> Subject: Re: [SAtalk] Spamwriter
> To: Bart Schaefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       version=2.60
>
> | Making a direct outbound connection on port 25 is not "running an email
> | server", any more than making a direct outbound connection on port 80 is
> | "running an HTTP server."
>
> Running any type of "Server" is a violation of every consumer high speed
> access connection TOS.
>
> Call it what you want, but if it serves, it's a Server
>
> No can do
>
> Unless I misunderstand what a server is, I think anything that
> provides content, (web, ftp, email, telnet, ssh, etc...) is classified
> as a server.
>
> Again, No can do
>
> This is not saying "you are not able to do so", that would be
> rediculous, but undrestand, a consumer connection to the Internet
> is just that... consumption, not delivering....
>
> consumers receive, servers serve.
>
> cable subscribers, residential subscribers are consumers
> Not Servers
>
> IMHO all consumer IP blocks should be uni directional and only
> allowed input traffic.
>
> Unfortunately, the TC/IP protocol makes this difficult, but not impossible
> to control.
>
> Frankly, there is no email that needs to be delivered immediatly and
> the only overloaded ISP email servers are those freebee email services
> which usually get blown out by spam filters anyway.
>
> The Rule of Thumb:
>
> Just because you have cable or dsl does not mean you're an ISP or
> gonna make a fortune on the internet.
>
> If you want into the business, build the plan, see the bank, take the risk.
>
> Otherwise, you are no better than the spammer that is trying to make
> a quick buck no a cable connection.
>
> I think that was about a half a bucks worth....

        That seems pretty harsh (but understandable).  I've been on
DSL since it was available in my area.  Being one of the first, the
ISP was generous/dumb enough to give me an entire class C allocation.
I didn't need it, but got it anyway because it was 'easier' for
them. Hmm...

        I do run 'servers' - web for some OSS projects and my own
amusement, and a mailserver for 2 low volume mailing lists and other email
into and out of my network.  Sometimes I startup a network doom server for
myself and few friends.

        I run my own servers because I can, and because I have complete
control of them.    I do not run a business, use the connection to make
money, or 'resell' my connection to other people.  I just like computers
and networking, and my needs and interests are somewhat more involved than
simple web browsing. ;-)  I am not a bandwidth hog, and my ISP has never
had any complaints or issues with the 'servers' I run.

        I don't consider this abuse, and neither does my ISP.  That's
what I'm paying for - the connection.

        I guess it all just depends on what you are doing, and what
your ISP thinks about it.

        I assume that I would still be considered an 'abuser' on your ISP?

> Best Regards
>
> Greg

Jon Trulson    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad