"Sue Morton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
9c977i$o0d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9c977i$o0d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Apologies if this has been covered, I haven't been reading the NG's
lately.
> (Did a quick search and didn't turn anything up...)

don't think it has...

[snip]
> I used SamSpade for Windows (SMTP verify) to confirm [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> is not available.  To my surprise, SamSpade says the account is active.
> (Others I have tested @excite come back with "invalid address".)  So I'm
> inclined to believe SamSpade...  is there a reason I shouldn't?

possibly... some ISPs don't return "invalid address" responses to cancelled
accounts... if they deleted all record of the account, then the spammer
could just sign up for the same address again, so they don't tend to do
that... they often lock the spammer out of the account rather than
preventing mail going to it... but that's only a "possibly", i've no idea
how excite's servers work...

the only way of confirming that an email address really is live is to send
an email and get a response from the spammer... with anything else, you
can't be sure..

> There is no appeals checkbox or other mechanism on the parse form to
appeal
> or "undo" the block on the reporting of this e-mail account.  I sent a
> manual complaint to Excite abuse.  But I wonder if the Spammer marked
these
> e-mail addys as resolved so (s)he could continue to operate?

it's possible... unlikely though i think, as either the spammer would
actually have to be a paying member of spamcop, or excite would have to be
forwarding complaints to their free email users...

> Is a manual complaint my only option in this situation (assuming SamSpade
is
> correct, the account is open)?  Why doesn't SpamCop allow for an appeal?
> Any info is appreciated, and again, sorry if this is a repeat question.

not sure if this decision that was made of if it's just a screw up... i
personally think that appeals of email addresses are (or maybe were) a bit
of a waste of time, due to the fact that it's pretty much impossible to be
sure that an email address is still working...

> --
> Sue Morton

hmm... not relevant to this post, but i see you're using the OE 6 beta... i
also note that (presumably) it's still not possible to use a valid sig
separator :(

> P.S.  I was going to post the tracking URL as help, but I see that
SpamCop's
> tracking URL does not match the parse results I received when I did the
> actual parse.  The e-mail addys aren't even _mentioned_ in the tracking
URL.
> Not sure why that is, seems like the tracking URL is incomplete if it
> doesn't show everything it found in the original parse and the status
> thereof?

this is a good point... dunno if it's fixable, but...

michael


_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help

Reply via email to